Omantribune
Oman Tribune
Omantribune
Omantribune Search News
Web Oman
    Google Search Button
      Tribune
- Oman
- Soccer World Cup
- Other Top Stories
- Middle East
- Business
- Sports
- Asia
- Europe
- Americas
- Columnists
- Editorial
- India
- Special Features
- Cinema
- PDF Pages
- Follow Us
- Weather
- Travel
- Hospitals
- Pharmacies
- Services
- Museum Timings
Omantribune Home Omantribune About Us Omantribune Advertising Information Omantribune Archives Omantribune Subscribe-Form Omantribune Jobs Omantribune Contact Us
Thursday, April 07, 2016  

IT minister warns Google of curbs over blasphemy
ISLAMABAD The new Information and Technology  minister has warned that Google could be blocked in the country if the company fails to remove blasphemous and objectionable material from its video-sharing website YouTube.

Minister of State for IT and Telecommunication Anusha Rahman Khan made the remarks on her first day in office on Saturday while talking about Pakistan’s efforts to end a nine-month ban on YouTube for hosting clips from the controversial film Innocence of Muslims.

Google, the parent company of YouTube, had rejected requests from the previous Pakistan Peoples Party-led government to remove the objectionable material and Khan said she hoped the company would listen to the new PML-N government.

“It all depends on our negotiation clout. If they persist with their stance, we can block Google in Pakistan as a last resort as there are many alternative search engines available on the Web,” Khan was quoted as saying by The News daily.

Innocence Of Muslims triggered violent protests by right wing groups across Pakistan and the PPP-led government itself sanctioned a day of protests in September last year.

Twenty-three people were killed and property worth billions of rupees was destroyed during these protests. The PML-N government has listed as one of its priorities the restoration of YouTube with filters to screen blasphemous and pornographic content.

Pakistan banned YouTube on September 17 last year.

The ban was lifted for a few hours in December before being reinstated following protests from right wing groups. Soon after the ban, the IT ministry issued a key policy directive to the Pakistan Telecommunication Authority to block all blasphemous and pornographic materials on the Internet by installing a filtration system.

Information Technology Secretary Zafar Iqbal blames PTA for failing to devise a filtration system but the new minister of state for IT said she did not buy the argument and believes the ministry could have done better during the past nine months.

“PTA is just an enforcement body. Our ministry is responsible for policy decisions, so it’s our job to ensure reopening of YouTube as soon as possible with thorough screening of objectionable material. I will immediately start work on it after a presentation by ministry officials on Monday,” Khan said.

The government will go all out to ensure that a proper filtration system is in place to reopen YouTube.

“We will pump in extra money if needed and do whatever is in our capacity to bring YouTube back to Pakistan without compromising our ethical values,” she said.

She said she will request Google to remove objectionable material from YouTube or at least ensure that access to it is blocked in Pakistan.

Khan made it clear that the ban on YouTube will not be removed without ensuring the “blockade of objectionable material”.

She said: “We cannot face the embarrassment of opening the website and closing it again after protests. We have to ensure that proper filtration system is in place before we open the website.”

IT experts say Pakistan has had little success in blocking blasphemous and other objectionable material on YouTube as the country does not have an agreement on content with Google.

Dawn and Agencies
NEWS UPDATES
Oman
Ministry to safeguard scribes’ right to get information: Jabri
Qatar, Oman discuss ties
5 students win medals in Gulf Math Olympiad
Ministry supports Red Bull F1 Showrun to promote tourism
Majan Health Services takes part in UK training programme
Darwish takes part in Arab financial meeting
Software to help flyers order duty free items, food using smartphone
Other Top Stories
Military, allies launch fierce Aleppo attack
500-rial fine, one-year jail for signal jumpers
Preventive measures against Zika discussed
WhatsApp toughens encryption
Dhofar, Al Wusta likely to get rain
Middle East
Libya gets unity government
Apartheid-style separation for Arabs slammed
Iraqi kidnappers free Qatari royal after 4 months
Deal to end West Bank blackouts
US weighs pullout of Sinai troops
Arab satellite operator cuts Hezbollah TV transmission
Asia
UK banker ‘sets up firm’ to fund N. Korea N-plan
2 state employees killed in Thailand drive-by shooting
20m Bangladeshis ‘drinking toxic water’
HK rebel leader faces bank curbs
Malls, hypermarkets spring up on Thai stimulus hopes
Business
Oil at $50 acceptable: Russia
Iran oil output to hit 4mbpd by March ’17
Asia raises Mideast heavy crude purchase
Galfar bags 21.92m-rial PAEW deals
Egypt owes $3.2b to foreign firms
India’s services sector picks up pace in March
China car firms plot India journey
Samsung ups ante against Apple in India
India steel imports rise
Europe
Greece sees dip in migrant flow 3 days after deal
Cameron, family ‘not to benefit from offshore funds, trusts’
Ukrainian pilot starts ‘dry’ hunger strike in jail
Turkey readies new law to cancel terror backers’ citizenship
Turkey to investigate leak of personal data
Stone Age humans ‘transported’ deer
Sports
Ruthless Suarez makes Atletico bite dust
Torres fumes at referee bias after red card
Vidal winner gives Bayern edge over Benfica
Kerber overcomes Arruabarrena scare
Le Roy takes charge as Togo coach
Day, Spieth and McIlroy pace lineup
Fifa needs to clarify terms of suspension, says AFC
Japan speed queen Koyama guns for Formula One
Timberwolves halt Warriors record bid
Australian women cricketers earn bumper pay rise
Magnussen, Hackett face uphill task at trials
St Lucia ground named after West Indies skipper Sammy
Alizz Islamic-backed under-10 team wins Dubai event
Americas
Cruz’s victory to make going tough for Trump
Carter spells out reforms at Pentagon to meet global threat
Dilma seeks support as impeachment move looms
Leak sparks backlash against tax dodgers
Panama slams OECD ‘slander’
‘American Idol’ takes trip down memory lane as it goes off air

Sports


International

© 2013 Oman Tribune. All rights reserved. Best viewed in 800 X 600 resolution