Omantribune
Oman Tribune
Omantribune
Omantribune Search News
Web Oman
    Google Search Button
      Tribune
- Oman
- Soccer World Cup
- Other Top Stories
- Middle East
- Business
- Sports
- Asia
- Europe
- Americas
- Columnists
- Editorial
- India
- Special Features
- Cinema
- PDF Pages
- Follow Us
- Weather
- Travel
- Hospitals
- Pharmacies
- Services
- Museum Timings
Omantribune Home Omantribune About Us Omantribune Advertising Information Omantribune Archives Omantribune Subscribe-Form Omantribune Jobs Omantribune Contact Us
Wednesday, April 06, 2016  

China shuts down liberal website after reform call
BEIJING A liberal Chinese journal’s website was shut down on Friday, it said, in the latest and most prominent example of a crackdown by Chinese authorities against online freedom of expression.

The website of the Beijing-based Annals of the Yellow Emperor was closed days after it published an article urging leaders to guarantee constitutional rights including freedom of speech and assembly.

The publication, which has links with senior retired Communist officials, had argued in the article that China’s constitution lays out a road map for political reform.

Closure of the Annals’ website follows censorship by the authorities of similar calls made by a key liberal newspaper, while several influential Chinese journalists have had their social networking accounts deleted in recent weeks.

Attempts to access the Annals’ website on Friday led to a page with a cartoon policeman holding up a badge and the message: “The website you are visiting has been closed because it has not been filed on record.

“At around 9am today, the website was closed,” said a post on the Annals’ official web page on Sina Weibo, a website similar to Twitter, and later confirmed by the magazine’s editors said.

Editor-in-chief Wu Si said he had received a message from the Ministry of Industry and Information Technology, China’s Internet regulator, last month stating that the website had been “cancelled”.

The information technology ministry did not respond to faxed questions and phone calls made on Friday.

The website closure came a day after censors blocked an article from popular liberal newspaper Southern Weekly which called for the realisation of a “dream of constitutionalism in China” so that citizens’ rights could be protected.

A propaganda official in Guangdong province, where the newspaper is based, removed the article and replaced it with a weaker message, said several current and former journalists at the newspaper.

Agence France-Presse
NEWS UPDATES
Business
Global recovery too weak: IMF
Bank Muscat to open Iran office by year end
Signs point to oil freeze, says Kuwait
PSC opts out of Batinah port tender
RBI cuts repo rate by 25bps
Rate cut fails to cheer up stock markets
ARCs flock to India amid bad loan clean-up
India to push for bank consolidation
EU economy hits slow lane
US factory data hints at further slowdown
Sports
Samir earns Verona third win of season
Djokovic retains ATP rankings lead
Real to keep ‘Clasico’ winning form
Toure to leave City at end of season
PSG target Champions League semis
Morgan banks on past glory to keep Foxes on top
McIlroy sets sights on career Grand Slam
Rio Olympics winners to get majors reward
Shaq, Yao and Iverson to enter Hall of Fame
Trump investment pays off as Herman reaches Masters
Couples pulls out over back woes

Sports


International

© 2013 Oman Tribune. All rights reserved. Best viewed in 800 X 600 resolution