Omantribune
Oman Tribune
Omantribune
Omantribune Search News
Web Oman
    Google Search Button
      Tribune
- Oman
- Soccer World Cup
- Other Top Stories
- Middle East
- Business
- Sports
- India
- Pakistan
- Asia
- Europe
- Americas
- Columnists
- Editorial
- Oman Mirror
- Special Features
- Cinema
- PDF Pages
- Weather
- Travel
- Currency Rate
- Hospitals
- Pharmacies
- Services
- Flight Timings
- Museum Timings
Omantribune Home Omantribune About Us Omantribune Advertising Information Omantribune Archives Omantribune Subscribe-Form Omantribune Jobs Omantribune Contact Us
Tuesday, July 22, 2014  

Syria to back any initiative for talks
DAMASCUS Syria’s government on Monday welcomed any initiative for talks to end bloodshed in the country, after UN-Arab League envoy Lakhdar Brahimi said he had a peace plan acceptable to world powers.

The regime’s stand, expressed by Prime Minister Wael Al Halaqi, came amid a flurry of diplomacy led by Brahimi to find ways to end the 21-month conflict.

But the violence still raged, with activists reporting the gruesome discovery of dozens of tortured, headless corpses in a Damascus district, adding that nearly 90 per cent of the 45,000 people killed so far died in 2012.

“The government is working to support the national reconciliation project and will respond to any regional or international initiative that would solve the current crisis through dialogue and peaceful means and prevent foreign intervention in Syria’s internal affairs,” Halaqi told parliament.

He said the revolt against President Bashar Al Assad’s regime must be resolved only by the Syrian people, “without external pressures or decrees”.

Halaqi said the country was “moving toward a historic moment when it will declare victory over its enemies, with the goal of positioning Syria to build a new world order that promotes national sovereignty and the concept of international law”.

Brahimi said on Sunday he had crafted a ceasefire plan “that could be adopted by the international community”.

The proposal involved a ceasefire, the formation of a government, an election plan, and was based on an agreement world powers reached in Geneva in June.

The violence has escalated, with activists reporting the discovery of 30 tortured bodies in a flashpoint district of Damascus, while a gruesome video emerged of a separate slaying of three children in the capital.

“Thirty bodies were found in the Barzeh district. They bore signs of torture and have so far not been identified,” said the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights.

The Syrian Revolution General Commission activist network gave a higher estimate of 50 bodies, saying “their heads were cut and disfigured to the point that it was no longer possible to identify” them.

The video posted online by activists showed the bodies of three young boys with their throats slit open and hands bound behind their backs. Their bodies were discovered on Monday in Jubar.

The Observatory also reported the killing of the boys, who activists said were kidnapped the day before at a checkpoint on their way home from school.

Regime warplanes, meanwhile, bombarded rebel positions on the outskirts of Damascus, killing eight civilians including two children, said the Observatory.

Fighting erupted in Daraya as army reinforcements massed in the contested town where more than 500 people were reportedly killed in the conflict’s bloodiest massacre in August.

In central Syria, the army shelled the town of Halfaya in Hama province, where an air strike on a bakery last week killed 60 people, and Houla in Homs province, where pro-regime militiamen are suspected of killing more than 100 people in May in another major massacre.

Agence France-Presse
NEWS UPDATES
Oman
CSC marks graduation of 27th batch
OCCI hosts Al Toobi
New recruits join OCEC team
Other Top Stories
Iran eliminated most sensitive N-material: IAEA
We have solid proof of Russian complicity in MH17 crash: US
2 Israeli soldiers killed are US citizens
Sure of victory, thanks to Russia: Syria
Rebels attack army base in Benghazi
Russia contests charge rebels shot down MH17
India
Katju allegation snowballs into controversy
Angry students clash with police in Bangalore over rape of child
Railways to remodel conventional toilets by 2022
Government promises to extend broadband facility to all villages
6 more encephalitis deaths in W. Bengal
Guns fall silent along international border
Pakistan
Man arrested for abduction, rape in Pakistan
Middle East
Militants attack army base in Benghazi, 1 dead
Weary Palestinians cheer up over report of Israeli soldier’s capture
Libyan rebel leader appeals against ruling in torture case
‘Tortured’ Palestinian teenager describes Israeli police brutality
Gaza paramedics ‘united’ amid war
Asia
Protesters clash with police over cross removal in China
Subianto should accept defeat, says Yudhoyono
Rammasun death toll mounts in Philippines
Business
India holds up WTO deal on trade facilitation
OTI closes oversubscribed $1.05b borrowing facility
Samena moots spectrum harmonisation across Mena region
Oil edges higher over Iran woes
Sensex rises to two-week high; RIL gains 2.1%
ICICI will become India’s top bank with ‘profitable model’
Trai recommends sharing of all categories of telecom spectrum
HDFC Bank Q1 profit rises 21%
Panasonic plans to sell online through E-Store
German economy to stagnate in Q2, says Bundesbank
Murdoch to consolidate Chinese presence with Time Warner deal
Tesco boss steps down amid profit warning
Sports
Sharma wrecks England at Lord’s
Dhoni instructed me to bowl bouncers: Ishant
Lessons from 2011 helped: Dhoni
Brazil have fallen down pecking order
Exeter lift silverware in Rio rematch
Dunga eyes second stint
Negredo out for several months with broken foot
Six Shakhtar players face penalties if they stay away
McIlroy – true heir apparent to Woods
Nicklaus, Tiger all praise for McIlroy
Oman Engineering win Forbes Ramadan Cricket
Tomic climbs to 70 in latest ATP rankings
ORT all set for Belgium challenge

Sports


International

© 2013 Oman Tribune. All rights reserved. Best viewed in 800 X 600 resolution